Holistic Rehab Treatment
Cognitive Behavioral Therapies are the foundation for the treatment of substance abuse; however, paired with holistic modalities and medication, the likelihood of prolonged treatment is significantly increased. Over the years, holistic medications have advanced to decrease toxicity and increase effectiveness. At Sprout Health Arizona, we offer many holistic approaches, such a tai-chi and art therapy. We understand that some addiction and mental health issues cannot be solved using strictly medication or group therapies; however, those treatments paired with our holistic methods can greatly influence the path to recovery.
Holism and Holistic Health
Holism is a theory that the universe, specially living nature, is correctly seen in terms of interacting whole (as of living organisms) that are more than the mere sum of elementary particles. In simpler terms, functional systems cannot be explained or understood by looking at the individual pieces; rather, the individual pieces can only be understood by looking at the whole. For example, if you take the battery or transmission out of a car, there is no indication of how they will make the care move; however, when you consider them as pieces of the entire car, you will see that they work together with the other parts in order to make it run.
Holistic health includes the basics of physical and mental health, as well as social harmony, spiritual enlightenment and emotional balance. The goal of holistic health is to achieve balance between body, mind and spirit. We cannot live a healthy lifestyle if our moving parts, like that of a car, are not working together in synch or properly.
An example of the balance between mind, body and soul would be a person diagnosed with cardiovascular disease. The disease will decrease oxygen flow, causing poor oxygen flow that impairs cognitive performance; thus resulting in a negative impact on decision-making and problem-solving skills. Over time, the disease will affect how you interact with people, putting a strain on your relationships. As the condition continues, it has the ability to cause the individual to question their relationship with God.
This example shows the connection between the mind, body and soul, which is the basis of holism.
Rehabilitation The Holistic Way
Holistic rehab allows patients to see the overall view of their drug addiction. It helps establish a connection between addiction, substance abuse and addiction triggers in order to develop a long-term recovery plan. The goal is to take physical and social health, mental and spiritual wellness and emotional stability into account.
Holistic Rehab Treatments
Sprout Health Arizona offers 10 holistic rehabilitation treatments, which are:
- Acupuncture- This is one of the best ways to manage physical pain. Needles are placed on pressure points to place patients in a tranquil and relaxed state.
- Nutritional therapy- Vitamins and minerals are administered orally or intravenously to help aid the chemical, enzymatic and physiological processes of the body. They help cellular repair and tissue regeneration while minimizing the residual damage from substance abuse.
- Exercise- An increase in blood and oxygen flow as well as the release of dopamines are extremely necessary to improve emotional health as well as increase physical appearance.
- Massage therapy- Essential oils and aromatics as well as the relief of physical and mental fatigue help soothe and relax the body.
- Spiritual counseling- Counselors provide patients with an understanding of and new meaning to all the events that have occurred throughout their lifetime. They help establish a more fulfilling life.
- Yoga- Stretching and breathing exercises help lower blood pressure and clear the mind as well as promote spiritual, mental and physical health.
- Meditation- This training is all about focus and gaining control over the mind. It improves concentration and helps manage mild pain.
- Art therapy- People who struggle with words often find it therapeutic to express their feelings through art. Clinicians are able to gain insight into a patient’s thoughts by evaluating the use of colors, symbols and shapes.
- Music therapy- Like art therapy, sometimes it is hard to express words. Depending on what type of instrument is used and how it is played, Clinicians are, again, able to gain insight into a patient’s thoughts and emotions.
- Tai-Chi- This is basically yoga with more fluid movements. Patients learn a combination of breathing and moving gracefully. It is effective in reducing anxiety and stress.
At Sprout Health Arizona, we understand that not all ailments, addictions and mental health issues are the same; therefore, we provide treatments that are not all the same. Patients are able to learn many different tools at our drug addiction and mental health disorder rehab facility in order to ensure the best possible and long-lasting recovery.